Friday, October 15, 2010

An evening with Alastair Campbell







Last night I had the rather daunting task of acting as the host and compere for 'An Evening with Alastair Campbell' at the Place Theatre in Oakengates in Telford. Alastair donated all of he proceeds from the ticket and book sales to Telford CLP. He entertained and enthralled his audience with his reflections on his time at the heart of the New Labour project and his views on topics ranging from how intelligent he thinks George Bush really is to how we can better support people with mental health problems. Some of the things he spoke about that I personally found interesting were:







  • That he is pretty certain Adam Boulton does not like him very much!



  • His view that David Cameron has style but lacks 'policy' substance.



  • That he owns 3 road bikes and one of them was made to measure!

Though I was very, very nervous I really enjoyed the whole event and I know that Telford CLP were delighted with the numbers attending and with the amount it raised which will go to help fight campaigns in the area in the coming months. Alistair is a class act and the Labour party nationally and locally owe him a huge debt of gratitude.

Were you there? What were your thoughts about the evening? Do you have photos that I might add?

1 comment:

Dave Davies said...

Mike,

Yes I was there and it was a good evening. Alastair was interesting & entertaining as ever - I don't always agree with him but he is always intelligent & stimulating. The audience were great and I thought you did an excellent job as compere/host/inquisitor/facilitor.

Best wishes,


Dave Davies

PS. Sorry I am blog-illiterate & couldn't post this!